- About Us
- Student Portal
Every year APA welcomes over 200 to 250 students to its program. We do not expect all of our students to pursue a career in the performing arts, but we do expect them to take their arts education seriously. As with any other endeavor effort, commitment, teamwork and dedication will achieve results. Our students enjoy a community of friends and a wonderful support system of faculty, staff and volunteers.
APA provides an intensive pre-professional performing arts program, placing demands on a student's schedule outside of their academic core curriculum. We expect that students pay equal attention to their academic classes and performing arts classes. We require regular progress reports and academic records, especially prior to auditions for APA's main stage productions. Admission is through competitive live auditions. APA's faculty evaluates applicants' academic records, recommendations from teachers and instructors, prior experience, portfolios, artistic samples, videos, extra-curricular activities and interests. APA evaluates the talent of each student and looks not only for ability but also for hidden potentials. We often direct students to one of APA's programs that best fits their ability, talent and potential.
All APA students must attend one of the comprehensive high schools of the Huntington Beach Union High School District:
- Coast High School
- Edison High School
- Fountain Valley High School
- Huntington Beach High School
- Marina High School
- Ocean View High School
- Westminster High School
Please Note: Out-of-District as well as inter-district transfers are possible as space permits but students MUST attend one of the comprehensive high schools that are part of the Huntington Beach Union High School District as per the H.B.U.H.S.D. School Board policy.
APA is committed to providing many opportunities for students to perform or apply their technical skills. In addition to the ten annual main-stage productions each department offers recitals, studio evenings, play festivals and concerts in our 2nd Stage Production series. Additional creative outlets and performance opportunities are provided by student produced works, community outreach performances, competitions and our Way Off-Broadway series.
APA provides students with a comprehensive high school experience. Through Huntington Beach High School as well as the District, our students have the opportunity to provide leadership in clubs, the Associated Student Body and various committees. Students can serve on HBHS' School Site Council and the Strategic Planning Committee among others as well as APA's own Student Council.
APA's Student Council represents each of APA's departments. The APA council meets weekly and acts as liaison between APA's student body, H.B.H.S and the administration, plans student events, such as the annual APA Academy Awards & Council Fall Festival dances, and fundraisers that span all departments.
APA has growing steadily since 1993, attracting interest and students from the entire United States and the World. Judging from demand and inquiries this growth will continue.
Students and their families contribute greatly to APA's financial resources, APA's programs and performances. Community support is critical to continue one of Orange County's most unique educational opportunities.
APA's families contribute financially through the Annual Family Pledge for the 2015-2016 school year. Students raise funds at the annual Walk for the Arts and various other fundraisers. Parent's employers may contribute through matching funds and community businesses provide financial assistance and in-kind donations. The following are some of the employers who have recently contributed matching funds; Boeing, Verizon, State Farm, Disney, Toyota, Northrop Grumman,Phillips 66, JC Penny, Parker Hannifin, Pacific Life, State Street, SC Edison, UPS, Sharp Corp, BP Corp, Sony Pictures, ExxonMobil, Honda and more. Contributors provide field trip opportunities, volunteer time, and donations of production and classroom equipment, school supplies, and grants.
Donations processed through the HB APA Foundation, the Education Enrichment Foundation for the Arts, and also the Huntington Beach Union High School District or Huntington Beach High School for the APA program are tax-deductible and once made, are not refundable.
Application Download (2015-2016 School Year)
2015-2016 Application [pdf]
::: AUDITIONS for the 2015-2016 School Year:::
Application deadline is January 29, 2015 .
- Complete the Application for Admission and get it in to the APA office before the deadline.
- Start preparing and learning for the audition.
- Request the required Letter of Recommendation right away.
- Follow all instructions carefully and submit the completed application with all supporting documents by the posted due date.
- Incomplete applications delay the process and will not be accepted.
- Mark your calendar for Feb 21st for Acting, Costume Design, Dance, Dramatic Production, Musical Theatre, Technical Theatre , Feb 27 for MMET-Media, Orchestra & Feb 28th for MMET-Pop, Orchestra-Reserve the ENTIRE day.
- During the week prior to audition day you will receive a phone call or email with your appointment date/time and other details.
- This appointment cannot be changed. Please do not ask.
- Often DCAT (PDF) placement testing is scheduled on the same day. Please check with your residence school for make-up dates.
- You may audition for two disciplines/departments. Please note your 1st and 2nd choice on your application by writing #1 next your 1st choice and #2 next to your 2nd choice.
January 29, 2015 is the application deadline for AUDITIONS for the 2015-2016 school year
Feb 9th -- week of
The APA office will contact you by phone prior to your audition with your audition time and location.If a message is left for you regarding your audition, you must return the call to the APA office to confirm your audition.
Feb 21st, Feb 27 (MMET-Media) or Feb 28th (MMET-Pop vocal and instrumental)-Reserve the entire day
- Follow the instructions you received with your application packet on how to prepare for your audition.
- Arrive at APA early enough to check in 1/2 hour prior to your first audition appointment. Follow the instructions.
- Be prepared. Our APA staff and Student Council will tell you where you have to go. Students from the APA Student Council will also be there to assist you, so please don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you like.
- Parents may wait outside the APA building in the parent hospitality area but are not allowed in any of the audition areas. This is an opportunity to meet other APA families and ask questions of our staff APA parent volunteers.
- After you have completed your auditions you go to the checkout counter where you turn in your paperwork. You MUST COMPLETE this VERY IMPORTANT LAST STEP of the audition process.
- Students who auditioned on Feb 21st, Feb 27th, or Feb 28th, 2015 and HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED into APA will have their name listed on the APA web site. This list will be posted on March 6th @ 8pm. An official letter will follow. This letter is important if you want to transfer from your residence high school to Huntington Beach High School. Please do not call the APA office-thank you.
- Students who auditioned and have NOT been accepted into APA will be SENT written notification during the week of March
- An Acceptance Agreement will be included with the official APA acceptance letter. Applicant and parents must complete, sign, and submit their Acceptance Agreement. This Acceptance Agreement must be received back by the APA office by March 24, 2014.
MANDATORY New Parent Acceptance Meeting for the February auditons - this is for parents of students accepted into the APA program
Those students accepted during the February auditions - parents of students will need to come into the APA Office to pick up paperwork.
For students who auditioned/interveived in February and were accepted in to the APA program, there is a MANDATORY PARENT MEETING. This meeting will happen on March 24th at 1pm or 6:30 pm. Please R.S.V.P. before March 20th. Please reserve your seat for your prefered meeting as space is limited. Students are asked NOT to attend this meeting as space and seating is very limited. R.S.V.P. to the APA office at 714.536.2514 ext 4025.
- Parents of students who have been newly accepted must attend a New Parent Acceptance meeting. At this meeting or before, parents must complete, sign, and submit a Parent Voluntary Pledge Form, Acceptance Agreement, Emergency Card, and Volunteer Card. All new parents are required to attend this New Parent Acceptance meeting and turn in all required paper work in order to secure their student's placement in the program. Parent packets are now available in the APA office. You may pick them up now, fill them out at home and hand it in at the meeting.
At the New Parent Meeting, you will be filling out and return the Acceptance Agreement as well as the APA PARENT PACKET (listed below):
- 2015-2016 Acceptance Agreement signed by Student & Parent (blue)
- 2015-2016 Family Pledge form (white-APA office, yellow-Parents copy)
- 2015-2016 Emergency card (yellow)
- 2015-2016 Parent Volunteer card (white)